Data governance comprises data management rules and guidelines that help your business manage its inner and outward data flows. Data governance initiative helps to enhance data quality as well as confirms the integrity, usability, availability, and security of information.
Data governance framework comprises policies and procedures used to build a data management model. The framework defines the data ownership rules and methods in detail about how, when, and who can use the data. It even adds value in building regulatory compliant procedures.
Ewsolutions is one of the best data governance services that help you build a logical framework. It helps to classify, organize, and communicate complex data activities in a simple way that helps decision-makers take appropriate actions. Frameworks differ between industries, so for more information, you can visit datamanagementeductaion.com.
5 major questions to consider before creating a robust data governance framework
- Why is there a need for data governance?
Review the specific challenges of your existing data management processes.
- Do they obstruct your compliance needs?
- Are employees wasting their time in searching for the needed data?
- Have you experienced problems with the online search during the legal process?
- Do employees make decisions based on incomplete or outdated data?
Recording these challenges will aid in developing a strategic roadmap that highlights the vulnerable areas. You can set detailed planning for improvement focused on attaining great results.
2. What is your goal?
Data governance initiative goals will depend on your business model, sector, corporate hierarchy, etc. as well as existing data management practices. Some of the common goals for improvements are –
- Data security & compliance
- Complete, consistent, and accurate data quality
- Quick data sharing within the company network via tagging & classification
3. Who will be responsible for data governance implementation?
Identify people and define their roles in implementing the data governance program.
- Chief data officer – CDO is the front-runner of your data governance strategy.
- Data owners – Data Owners are directly liable for data quality and protection.
- Data stewards – They work with data owners as well as implement data governance rules and guidelines. They even train new employees and data owners.
- Data governance committee – The team sets rules and policies for data governance. They work with CDO and establish the aspects including who, where, when, why, and what of the data governance framework.
4. How will the data governance program work?
Define the roles and responsibilities of the data governance team, establish policies for the quality and usage of data, monitor policies’ effectiveness, prioritize efforts, as well as make other decisions.
- How to ensure that the created, altered, and retired policies support your data governance ethics?
- How will the data governance support data privacy, enable accurate data classification, enhance data access and impose retention schedules?
- How will your current technology solutions support new data governance workflows and standards?
5. How to evaluate the efficiency of your data governance program?
Define the metrics for proper monitoring of your data governance initiative to ensure that it is progressing towards specific goals. It even ensures filling the vulnerable areas for better profits. Helpful metrics are –
- Data management costs
- Objectives achievement
- Data steward progress
- Data management maturity
Change company culture via creating a solid data governance framework!